Lasers introduced in dentistry and have contributed to a great clinical success of restorative procedures. Among these; soft tissue and low power lasers have been widely studied and reported as offering many benefits in different steps of restorative treatment. Clinical indications of high power lasers on indirect and direct restorative dentistry include microbial reduction, final caries removal, enamel/dentin etching, internal ceramic conditioning, and crown lengthening.
Lasers are now the main-stay of dental treatment. Almost every aspect of dental care can be enhanced with adjuvant laser therapy.
The Advantages include:-
- 1.Painless, bloodless procedures & surgery
- 2.Minimal use of local anesthesia
- 3.No sutures required
- 4.Reduced need for post-operative antibiotics & analgesics
- 5.Minimal post-operative swelling & discomfort
- 6.Quicker recovery
- Reducing sensitivity of teeth (Laser desensitizing) – When multiple teeth are sensitive due to gum recession or excess enamel wear, dental laser can significantly reduce the sensitivity.
- Laser Bleaching – Tooth whitening done with lasers, leads to lesser sensitivity when compared to the conventional method causing lesser post-operative sensitivity.